Thursday 10 January 2008

Looking down the barrel of a gun in Northenden

On Monday I had noticed an article in the MEN that three locations in Wythenshawe and Northenden had suffered an armed robbery, Tescos being the location of the Northenden site.

On Tuesday night I went along to Northenden Civic Society, as I usually do, and asked the PCSO there what was being done to combat gun crime. His response was surprising as it was disappointing. He told us that Gun Crime in Northenden "isn't too bad".

If we had the odd raid every other year or so, perhaps we could say we're not suffering from a gun crime wave, but to have two armed robberies in as many months, on top of all the other armed robberies throughout the year, is too bad.


It is unacceptable and intolerable - in the truest sense of the words.

After the meeting, a few of us went for a couple of drinks at the Lounge About where we all caught up properly. At about 11pm most of the customers had left, leaving only four of us and two bar staff. We were just finishing our drinks when three masked lads wielding hand guns and a sword burst in!

Events moved quickly, but two of the lads quickly secured the bar area and starting taking cash, the third rounded up us customers and moved us into the gents.

Once in the gents he told us all to hand over our mobile phones, and then pointing the gun at my head said "You - pick up the phones and give them to me". It was a very weird situation, looking down the barrel of a gun in my home town, after just having been told by the police that gun crime "isn't too bad".

He said to us that he wasn't stealing the phones, just making sure we couldn't use them until they had left. He was lying of course, but I claimed my phone wasn't with me and I actually lost nothing.

He was such a young guy - maybe 17 or 18. He was very calm, and dressed like a ninja with a scarf across his face. I remember him having a good look at us - as if he was registering our features.


We all remained calm, and soon he left the gents telling us to lock the door and they then escaped through the front door.

We emerged when it was obvious he had gone, and I immediately saw one of the bar staff in tears in the corridor. I gave her a hug and comforted her, then ran out to the front to see if I could see where they went. They had already left the scene and I dialled 999 and asked for the police to get here as soon as.

So that was it - more or less. We gave all our details to the police (who arrived rapidly and in force) and I walked my friend home and had a stiff drink.

I have written to my local inspector asking her to assure us that she doesn't share the same view as the PCSO. Gun crime is a real menace across south Manchester, open a local newspaper and you're bound to see several examples of armed robberies. Northenden is particularly suffering at present - it's as if we've turned into the Wild West!

If you think you can help the police with their enquires, click through here.

Update: The local Inspector has been in touch and she has described the PCSO response as "not appropriate" - which is assuring.

1 comment: