Tuesday 18 December 2007

And our new leader is...


NICK

CLEGG

MP


















Age: 40
Represents: Sheffield Hallam since 2005
Previous roles: Former MEP, and Trade Negotiator with European Commission
In his own words: I want a new politics: a people’s politics. I want to live in a country where rights, freedoms and privacy are not the playthings of politicians, but safeguarded for everyone. Where political life is not a Westminster village freak show, but open, accessible, and helpful in people’s everyday lives.
  • Where parents, pupils and patients are in charge of our schools and hospitals.
  • Where fine words on the environment are translated into real action.
  • Where social mobility becomes a reality once again, so that no-one is condemned by the circumstances of their birth.
Why have we stopped imagining a better society? Look at what we’ve got. The Conservatives and New Labour have governed in the same way - Top-down and centralising. I refuse to believe that the only alternative to a clapped out Labour Government is a Conservative party which has no answers to the big issues - environmentalism without substance, social justice without money, internationalism without Europe.

The challenge for my party is clear and simple: to define a liberal alternative to the discredited politics of Big Government. I want to open up my party, open up Westminster, and open up politics for good.
To lead well, a leader needs to listen.
  • That’s why I will hold regular and public Town Hall Meetings.
  • That’s why I want to open up the Liberal Democrats to give people who support us, but aren’t members, a say on the big issues.
  • That’s why I will spend at least one day every week listening and campaigning outside Westminster
  • That’s why I will set up a network of real families, who have nothing to do with party politics, in every region of this country to advise me on what they think should be my priorities.
If you once voted Lib Dem but think we’ve spent too much time focusing on ourselves.

If you once voted Conservative but don’t know what they stand for any more.

If you once voted Labour but feel let down after ten years of disappointment.

If you’ve given up voting altogether, but still care about the world we live in:

Then a newly united, energetic, optimistic Liberal Democrat party is here for you.


No comments: